April is the Month of the Military Child, a time to recognize that “Military Kids Serve Too”. They are resilient – but military kids make sacrifices and live under circumstances many of us cannot even comprehend. They are AWESOME kiddos! April 14, 2023 is “Purple Up! for Military Kids Day” in Colorado – a day set aside for the entire state to show our support and appreciation for military kids by wearing purple and doing special things to recognize the youth. The Purple Up! Day concept was started by New Hampshire 4-H a number of years ago – and is now celebrated around the world, not just by 4-H but also by DoD, military service branches, school districts, communities and civic organizations. I’d love it if you can encourage your 4-H families and communities to join us in celebrating.
Resources for county use:
- 6 Social Media posts
- Article to personalize or use how you wish
- A list of Purple Up! ideas in case youth and clubs would like to do more thank wearing purple that day (it’s a great civic engagement project)
- Colorado is Military Kid Strong
- A Purple Up! Save the date slide
- Purple Up! Sample Proclamation that can personalized and requested to sign by County Commissioners, School Boards, Mayors, City Council’s, etc.
- An invitation to the Month of The Military Child and Purple Up! Recognition event at the state capitol on April 3. Everyone is welcome to join us. Please just RSVP to Vanessa so we know about how many to arrange for.
If you have questions or need any more information or ideas celebrating Purple Up!, please contact Vanessa.Tranel@colostate.edu.
Thank you for your support and appreciation in helping us appreciate our military kids!